At a traditional Nigerian wedding with the bride, the wife gets a glass of palm wine from her father and presents it to her husband as a way to show her family that this is the man she agreed to marry. This traditional wedding cake depicts palm wine flowing from the calabash/pumpkin. Next to him, there are the kolats on the saucer and traditional bracelets.
How to make calabash cake
- 15 cm (6 inches) cake 20cm (8 inches) cake 25cm (10in) cake.
- Rum: 2 tablespoons 4, six tablespoons.
- Pink sugarpaste, e.g., Regalice: 600-750g (11 / 4-11 / 2lb), 1-1.25kg) (2-23 / 4lb), 1.5-1.75kg (3-31 / 2lb).
- 500g package of royal icing.
- White powder glitter colors, for example, Squires Kitchen Metallic Snowflake Chandelier.
- Rose water, alcohol based, for instance, Star Key Uayt.
- 35.5cm (14in) round drum cake.
Calabash cake tutorial
- Cut off the top of the cake layer, if necessary. Spoon over the tops of rum cake and leave it to soak and moisturize. Warm sifted icing or jam, use a spatula to spread it on top and sides of cake. Knead marzipan soften, and then roll on the surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar so that it is large enough to cover the top and sides of the cake. Lift the marzipan over the cake and press it down from above, get the ease of fullness around the sides.
- For the largest pie, it’s easier to use a water meter if you have one, and brush water over the top of the drum cake and marzipan. After lifting sugarpaste over a cake, sugarpaste is pressed against the drum cake too. Then you sould cut off the excess around the drum edges of the cake, smooth and refinish it, if necessary.
- To make a template for the parties, wrap a piece of baking parchment around the largest of the pie and cut it, so it perfectly surround the cake. Check this 2cm (3 / 4in) mesh. Use a pair of pins to hold it in place around a cake, taking care only to stick pins into the glaze, and not directly through the cake. Use a Scriber tool or a pin to mark points around the cake, at each point where the lines intersect. Remove the template and use it to refer to secondary and tertiary levels.
- Then make something ball-shaped, like on the picture and put it on the top of the cake. A 3D ball pan with an extra 6-8” round cake in the middle. Then carve to suit.
Another variant of the cake can be: the French vanilla main cake with fresh strawberries and cream filling and a white chocolate frosting. The gourd is fresh strawberry cake filled with fresh strawberry buttercream.
Another important wedding attribute is a palm wine
Nigerian palm wine plays a predominant role in the traditional festival, and it always should be.
We must make it clear that once again, this is not your everyday palm wine.
It is made in the same process as Nigerians make tapped palm wine, only that instead of fermenting the sweet taste of palm juice with yeast present in the plant, we will be fermenting cane sugar or powdered sugar with regular baking yeast or brewer’s yeast.
The ingredients for palm wine:
– 200 ml of cold water (in a plastic bottle)
– 50 ml of warm water- 10-12 spoon castor sugar or sugar cane
– 10 g of fresh yeast (dry yeast: 3 grams)
– the container (to check fermentation)
– rubber tape (optional)
Palm Wine tutorial
- First dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add the sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Pour yeast mixture into bottle containing cold water, put faucet cover and shake gently.
- Remove the bottle cap and put the ball into the neck of the bottle, press the rest of the ball inside a bottle. Seal top with a rubber band.
- Store it in a dark place for 48 to 72 hours.
- After 48 hours you will get a whiter solution with bubbles in it and the rest of the ball inserted inside would have risen to the top.You’ll also see some remains on the bottom.
- Remove the ball at the top, cover the bottle and shake well. And your homemade palm wine is ready.
- Source:online Nigeria.com